Pregnancy ios a time when a woman's body undergoes a lot many hormonal changes. As a result of these changes, they may have to sometimes suffer from pimples and zits. But, it is not something you need to fret about as the changes in skin are common during pregnancy. It is normal for progesterone level to rise in a pregnant woman thus resulting in unpleasant skin conditions like acne.
There are various treatments available for the problem but you must be careful about selecting one as some medications may be harmful for expecting mothers.
Take a look at the various acne treatments which are safe during pregnancy:
1. Cleansing: Cleanse the face twice a day with a gentle cleanser, once in the morning and then just before going to bed. The skin is oftentimes more sensitive during pregnancy, thus you should use mild skin care product and follow it up with a light moisturizing cream. You can also use toners and astringents but discontinue the use at once if any of them irritates your skin. You could use a mild cleanser such as Zenmed Facial Cleanser which is effective as well as safe.
2. Topical benzoyl peroxide cream: It is considered to be a safe acne treatment during pregnancy. It is recommended to use it in relatively less amount to be on a safer side because the creams contain 5% or 10% benzoyl peroxide and expecting mothers require 2.5% benzoyl peroxide only.
3. Lemon juice: Cut a fresh lemon and apply its juice on the affected area using a cotton swab. Lemon juice can also be mixed with milk and used for a soothing wash.
4. Oatmeal: oatmeal is one of the most successful and natural remedies for acne which is safe for expecting mothers. Apply it directly on your face for about 20 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
5. Honey and cinnamon: The combination of honey and cinnamon perfectly works in drying out the excessive sebum.
Here is a list of acne treatments to be avoided while you are pregnant:
1. Accutane: It is also known as Isotretinoin and it has been linked to severe birth defects. It also increases the chances of miscarriage.
2. Tetracycline: The intake of this drug during pregnancy may interfere with bone growth of the developing fetus and lead to discoloring of teeth. The derivatives of tetracycline, like doxycycline and minocycline are also to be avoided during pregnancy.
3. Topical retenoids: Differin, Tazorac, and Retin A are some of the topical retenoids. They treat acne but cause severe birth defects in development of baby.
Thus take a note of safe acne treatments and those to be avoided during pregnancy before you go on to heal your acne. Even recommended treatments like Zenmed Derma Cleanse System must be used under medical guidance while you are pregnant.
It is a matter of great concern for mothers to keep themselves and their child safe. Hence, it is important to take precautionary measures in choosing the right acne treatment.